From: Drew Tomlinson <drew@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvtv Seg Faults After 'emerge -uvD world' -- SOLVED!!!
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:14:34
1 Apparently nvtv does not work with the nvidia drivers after 1.0.7174.
2 See 'man portage' and look for package.mask to see how to limit versions.
3
4 Drew
5
6 On 9/14/2005 6:59 PM Drew Tomlinson wrote:
7
8 > On 9/13/2005 2:30 PM Nick Rout wrote:
9 >
10 >> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 07:06 -0700, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
13 >>> I'm running a 2.6.11-r6 kernel on a box whose main purpose is
14 >>> MythTV. Everything was working fine until I did an upgrade using
15 >>> 'emerge -uvD world' followed with 'revdep-rebuild'. Now nvtv seg
16 >>> faults when I first attempt to run it. Additional attempts result
17 >>> in this error message:
18 >>>
19 >>> Fatal: Cannot access video cards. Either you are not root, or the
20 >>> NVidia devices are not accessible.
21 >>>
22 >>> I get the same message when attempting to run as root.
23 >>>
24 >>> I've tried removing and reinstalling both nvtv and nvidia-kernel
25 >>> but no joy. I'm new to Gentoo and Linux but do have a bit of a *nix
26 >>> background with FreeBSD. Any suggestions on how to resolve this
27 >>> would be greatly appreciated.
28 >>>
31 >> Drew I ahve seen a few messages here from you about mythtv related
32 >> stuff. Although I have no problem at all with you posting here, you may
33 >> get better results on the mythtv-user list. You can sub from a link on
34 >> www.mythtv.org
37 > Thanks for the tip. I do post there when my issue is directly related
38 > to MythTV. I just felt this was more of a Gentoo thing as my issues
39 > started after a "emerge -uvD world".
40 >
41 >> It is a busy list, quite knowledgeable.
42 >>
43 >> As for nvtv, are you actually using the nvidia driver? - do you get the
44 >> nvidia splash screen when you start X?
47 > Yes, I am using the latest (I have ~x86 set) nvidia-kernel driver from
48 > portage as I was before upgrading. I've read that many times the
49 > nvidia-kernel driver has to be recompiled after an upgrade. I think
50 > it's just when upgrading the actual kernel but I recompiled anyway
51 > just to check. It didn't help. I also recompiled nvtv from portage
52 > but no help there either.
53 >
54 > I also have TightVNC installed on this box and normally start a
55 > session on :1. In checking this further, it is interesting that nvtv
56 > starts fine when using :1 via the TightVNC viewer if X is not running
57 > on :0. However once X is on :0, that's when the seg faults start.
58 > Maybe I have a problem with my X config. BTW, I'm using xorg.
59 >
60 > Oh, and yes, I do see the nvidia splash screen when starting X on :0.
61 >
62 > Thanks for your help! Although I come from the FreeBSD world, I'm a
63 > noob when it comes to both Linux and Gentoo (and MythTV for that matter).
64 >
65 > Drew
70 Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse
71 Magic Tricks, DVDs, Videos, Books, & More!
72
73 http://www.alchemistswarehouse.com
76 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list