From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAY OT] GUI programming for Linux (and Windows possibly)
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 01:01:30
1 On 06/28/2009 05:50 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM, walt<w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 06/28/2009 10:16 AM, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 10:09 AM, pk<peterk2@××××××××.se> wrote:
6 >>
7 >>>> Why Windows? I'm merely curious, not trying to criticize...
8 >>
9 >>> No offense taken. All the trading is done on the Windows platform
10 >>> using proprietary trading platform apps. All the datafiles are
11 >>> therefore sitting in Windows and it just seems easier...
12 >>
13 >> So true, and that's exactly where M$ wants us. I need to use a
14 >> couple of M$-specific apps for the same reason, and much to my
15 >> joy they both run very well on recent versions of wine.
16 >>
17 >> I first tried wine years ago when it was running only 16-bit
18 >> windows apps and I gave it up as nothing more than a toy -- but
19 >> things have *really* changed since then!
20 >>
21 >> Wine is a toy no longer, it's a powerful tool and I'd urge you
22 >> to play with it at for a week or two to see what it can do.
23 >>
24 >> They have an apps database that lists popular windows programs
25 >> that are known to run under wine (or not) and what you need to do
26 >> to get them working.
27 >>
28 >> http://appdb.winehq.org/
29 >>
30 >> I don't see Trade Station listed there but you could be the first
31 >> one to get it working :-)
32 >
33 > I used to be an app maintainer for wine. I know about it and support
34 > it but no longer us it. I tried TS maybe a year ago. It wouldn't even
35 > install much less run. There's no good way for Wine developers to
36 > debug the problems as it required a funded account for anyone to run
37 > it.
38 >
39 > Sorry, but I'd never risk REAL money trading a Windows app in like TS
40 > in Wine, vmware, xen or anything else that the app wasn't specifically
41 > written for. The very last thing I wanted to do with this thread is
42 > create some sort of religious war. It's not my intent. I do however
43 > STRONGLY support your right to become a full-time, fully automated
44 > trader trading every day with your own money like I have. Then you'll
45 > have the right to decide what to do with your money for real as
46 > opposed to making suggestions about what I do with mine.
47 >
48 > Yes, M$ wants us there, and you can go check the TS forums (or maybe
49 > you can't if you don't have a trading account - I don't remember) to
50 > find the 50 times I've asked TS to port their platform to any distro,
51 > any revision of Linux. The number of people responding in the positive
52 > is large, but TS has no visible intention of do it so I'm locked in.
53 >
54 > Please, let's drop the M$ stuff from this discussion. R will like work
55 > out nicely for me. I can run the trading on windows, because it's the
56 > only practical solution, but I can share a drive over the network and
57 > use R on Gentoo reading those files. Please don't assume that because
58 > I use Windows that I prefer it. FAR FROM IT!
59 >
60 > With best regards,
61 > Mark