From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Heads up: A reason *NOT* to have xorg.conf file
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2017 21:45:17
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 04/02/2017 07:35 AM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 04/02/2017 06:55 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 >>>> My best guess is that the problem was due to a recent update to
6 >>>> x11-base/xorg-server On both my systems it now requires USE="glamor".
7 >>>> This may require changes to xorg.conf. On my main desktop, with no
8 >>>> xorg.conf, X does the detection and configuration
9 >>>> "auto-magically". The
10 >>>> hot backup machine would have an old xorg.conf with old (i.e. wrong)
11 >>>> settings for the updated xorg-server.
12 >>>
13 >>> This has been the case for many years now. Anyway, better late than
14 >>> never :-P
15 >>>
16 >>> You do sometimes need some custom settings though. This goes in
17 >>> seperate *.conf files now, which must be inside the
18 >>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ directory. Some packages can place a config file
19 >>> there automatically.
20 >>
21 >> I still have a xorg.conf file here. May have to test removing it one
22 >> day. I also have a file in the xorg.conf.d/ directory. After it reads
23 >> my file, will it also read the file in the directory or does it ignore
24 >> anything else since I have the old file? The file is named
25 >> 20opengl.conf.
26 >>
27 >> I seem to recall trying to run without it ages ago and something not
28 >> working. Can't recall what it was since it was a good long while back.
29 >
30 > If you don't *need* an xorg.conf (and you don't, otherwise you'd know
31 > :-P) then it's best to not have one. It's nothing dangerous to try.
32 > Just move it somewhere else and logout/login. If something breaks,
33 > just move the file back (or better, see what option you have in it
34 > that seems you need to provide manually, and split that into a .conf
35 > file inside xorg.conf.d. That's how I configure my nvidia driver. I
36 > have no xorg.conf. Instead, I have an xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf file:
37 >
38 > https://pastebin.com/raw/0GsxaFRj
39 >
40 > It's a good system. I can do small, "surgical" tweaks to options
41 > without having to maintain a full xorg.conf file.
46 As I mentioned earlier, I tried it without a xorg file a while back and
47 it didn't work. That is how I knew I had to keep my old one. Until I
48 try it again, then I won't know if I need one or not. I didn't have
49 anything special when I tried it last time, single monitor and a normal
50 video card, and it was needed then. Now I have a monitor but also a TV
51 connected that I watch shows on. My current setup is a bit more
52 complicated now than it was then.
53
54 Thing is, I don't have time to test this right now. I don't want to
55 start to test it, get involved in getting it working and only get part
56 way through only to find out I have something else I have to go do. If
57 I'm going to start it, I'd like to have time to finish it. Until I do
58 that, I won't know if I need a xorg file or just a couple files in
59 xorg.conf.d or something else. That also is not to mention that I have
60 no idea what needs to go into those new files at this time, if anything
61 is needed.
62
63 Maybe some day soon.
64