From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kon Colivas is working again on a new scheduler for Desktop/Multimedia/Gaming PCs
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 23:27:02
1 On Sonntag 06 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 09/06/2009 01:48 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Samstag 05 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> On 09/05/2009 05:59 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > >>>> 1000 Hz timer freq
6 > >>>
7 > >>> change that to 300
8 > >>>
9 > >>>> Did you mean tickless system with "noticks"? I have this enabled ATM
10 > >>>
11 > >>> deactivate that.
12 > >>
13 > >> Even with that, there still are problems. With composite enabled, move
14 > >> an mplayer window around and see how the video starts to skip big
15 > >> amounts of frames at the moment you start moving and when you "drop" it
16 > >> again. The compositor takes away CPU time and mplayer starves for a
17 > >> short time. BFS solves this.
18 > >
19 > > nope. No drops. vlc, xine, mplayer. At least no visible drop - and none
20 > > of the three is complaining.
21 >
22 > Well, not here.
23 >
24 > > But there is a pro-tip: use a non-broken X. aka one with
25 > >
26 > > fedora_dont_backfill_bg_none.patch
27 >
28 > I do use that.
29 >
30 > >> Also, have you considered that you got it all backwards? The kernel
31 > >> configuration tells you that for lower latencies, you should use 1000Hz
32 > >> and PREEMPT. It even says "Desktop" right there. Why should I take
33 > >> your word over that of the kernel devs who actually wrote that code?
34 > >
35 > > low latency means bad throughput and that hurts IO.
36 >
37 > GUI stalls still happen with high latency settings. Doesn't seem to
38 > matter; 300Hz, 1000Hz, tickless or not, PREEMPT or not, multicore
39 > scheduler or not, all the same. GUI stalls during load. It only goes
40 > away with Con's scheduler.
43 attached is my config. Because I don't need Con's scheduler for a nice desktop
44 experience.
45
46 What am I doing wrong?

.config text/plain