From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Best *SIMPLE* firewall?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:40:48
1 On 02/28/2018 02:15 PM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > Is there something besides iptables?
3
4 nftables
5
6 I think BPF may come into context here, but I've mostly ignored it, so
7 I'm not sure.
8
9 > It seems to be like systemd/perl/python, continuously expanding its scope.
10
11 What do you mean?
12
13 I've seen newer match extensions and targets over the years. But those
14 are simply additional optional bits. I.e. you need to have the module
15 loaded or compiled into your kernel.
16
17 > I fondly remember IPCHAINS.
18
19 I vaguely remember ipchains. I don't remember what was before it,
20 ipfwadm(?).
21
22 Maybe it was my ignorance at the time, but I wouldn't use the word
23 "fondly" to describe my experience with ipchains.
24
25 I am fond of iptables / ebtables / arptables.
26
27 I've looked at nftables a few times in the last 18 months and have
28 decided not to take that plunge yet. Usually it's because I feel like I
29 don't have feature parity between iptables and nftables for the iptables
30 features that I use.
35 Grant. . . .
36 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature