From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] emerge v gem for rails
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 05:36:04
1 I'm running into some error messages from rails when running "script/
2 generate controller foo" and am wondering if it's related to package
3 management, a mismatch between gems and emerge. Do not use gems, use
4 emerge? The wiki is incorrect?
5
6 The gentoo wiki, <http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_RoR>, says to:
7
8 emerge -av sqlite3-ruby
9 gem install sqlite3-ruby
10
11 Select sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (ruby) when prompted.
12
13 However, that version doesn't appear to be an option for the gem:
14
15 arrakis ~ #
16 arrakis ~ # gem install sqlite3-ruby
17 Select which gem to install for your platform (i686-linux)
18 1. sqlite3-ruby 1.2.1 (mswin32)
19 2. sqlite3-ruby 1.2.1 (ruby)
20 3. sqlite3-ruby 1.2.0 (mswin32)
21 4. sqlite3-ruby 1.2.0 (ruby)
22 5. Skip this gem
23 6. Cancel installation
24 > 6
25 ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteInstallationCancelled)
26 Installation of sqlite3-ruby cancelled.
27 arrakis ~ #
28 arrakis ~ # ruby --version
29 ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i686-linux]
30 arrakis ~ #
35 On the other hand, "gem list --local" and eix are consistent and show:
36
37 arrakis ~ # eix sqlite3-ruby
38 [I] dev-ruby/sqlite3-ruby
39 Available versions: 1.1.0 ~1.2.1
40 Installed versions: 1.1.0(13:32:16 11/18/07)(doc)
41 Homepage: http://rubyforge.org/projects/sqlite-ruby/
43 database from Ruby
44
45 arrakis ~ #
48 So, it looks like the version of sqlite3-ruby installed matches the
49 instructions at the wiki, but the version number doesn't seem to match
50 what's available through "gem"; and the wiki specifically states to
51 install the gem.
52
53 The error I'm running into may be totally unrelated to this. It seems a
54 bit odd to me that sqlite3-ruby must be emerged through portage and that
55 gem must install it as well -- one or the other would seem to be
56 sufficient.
60 thanks,
61
62 Thufir