From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox and script block tool/addon
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 18:09:09
1 Spackman, Chris wrote:
2 > On 2020/02/17 at 02:31am, Dale wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >> I been playing with this add-on and watched some videos on it.  While
5 >> it does some things better, it just isn't specific enough for what I
6 >> need.  In some cases, if I blocked scripts with it, some sites
7 >> wouldn't work at all or caused other issues. In a way it's better than
8 >> noscript but it still just doesn't go far enough.  I wish adblock
9 >> would list elements the way it used to.  That worked great because I
10 >> could block scripts on a individual basis.  Allow the ones I need and
11 >> block the ones that cause issues.
12 > I'm really surprised that umatrix (not ublock origin!) can't do what you
13 > need. As you note, it is much more granular than NoScript. Blocking
14 > elements at the subdomain level, you'd think, would be granular enough
15 > for most web pages.
16 >
17 > Are you saying you want to additionally allow / block scripts not just
18 > on a per-subdomain basis but on a per-individual-script basis? I've been
19 > using things like NoScript and uMatrix for many years, and I don't think
20 > even I would want to deal with that. How would you know which ones to
21 > allow? The Reg is showing 7, of which I allow 3. The Guardian has like
22 > 28, of which I allow 19. It would not be fun to try to go through all of
23 > those to figure out which ones are absolutely necessary. You'd be
24 > examining, allowing, and reloading 20 times per site, at first.
25 >
26 > Maybe the Tor Browser people would be interested in working on such an
27 > add on?
32 Yes, blocking on a per script basis is what I need.  On one site, I'm
33 sure it has a couple dozen scripts on it.  From what I could see, I
34 really only need to block 2 maybe 3.  The others are needed for certain
35 things on the page to work. Some are needed to make the page load at all.
36
37 The thing about getting it set up, once done, it's done.  It may take 30
38 minutes or a hour but once it is done, it won't require much if any
39 attention from then on.  As I pointed out, I used to do this in
40 Seamonkey with adblock.  It worked well.  In some cases, I'd block all
41 by default and then set exceptions for the ones I need to work.
42 Whichever is easier.
43
44 Maybe one day I'll run up on a add-on that does this.  Maybe.  ;-)
45
46 Dale
47