From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:03:30
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 18:43 on Friday 10 September 2010, Florian
2 Philipp did opine thusly:
3
4 > Am 10.09.2010 01:49, schrieb Enrico Weigelt:
5 > > * Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>> But I'd really like to know what produces the performance hits
7 > >>> on Posfix @ Linux.
8 > >>
9 > >> It comes down to the IO scheduler. Linux is designed to be general
10 > >> purpose. FreeBSD is designed to be much more specific.
11 > >
12 > > hmm, Linux provides several io schedulers - does choosing another
13 > > one help here ?
14 >
15 > And if it's so good for certain workloads, why hasn't FreeBSD's
16 > scheduler been ported to Linux? Or is the whole software stack (block
17 > devices etc.) so completely different that it wouldn't work?
18
19 I don't have an answer for that - just some observations that are quite old
20 and maybe not even valid anymore.
21
22 Either way, I have mail relays that pump 3,000,000 mails each per day and have
23 done so flawlessly for years. I'm not about to risk that to see if I can find
24 another 0.x% performance gain :-)
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com