From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help needed for installing KDE
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:10:11
1 > From:: Rajat Gujral <natkhat_2k@×××××.com>
2 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
3 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Help needed for installing KDE
4 > Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:18:03 -0700 (PDT)
5
6 > Hi , I have downloaded image (Kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r6) for x86 architecture from the gentoo website and complied the gentoo kernel for pentium 3 processor (coppermine). But while emering portages for gentoo, after compilation of KDE portage my computer hangs permanentally and nothing more is done after that. Everytime when i restart my computer and  emerge KDE,  it starts compilation from the same point . Also i keep getting DMA_INTR errors sometimes while installion . I have tried using -c option with mke2fs but the errors still keep coming . Is it because of that . Can anyone please help me and suggest what would be causing this problem and how can i carry on with the installation. I was facing some compiler problem (i368 VS i686 ) which then was resolved by using fix_lib_tools . Is there something that i maybe missing as this is the first time i am installing gentoo.
7
8 This could be a dodgy hard disk with bad blocks, or perhaps you haven't emerged hdparm and/or not added it to your default runlevel?
9 --
10 Regards,
11 Mick
12