From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Does portage monkey directly with /etc/portage/package.use
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 13:02:10
1 On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 08:55:42AM +0100, Mick wrote
2
3 > To complete the diagnosis we may need the version of your portage? ;-)
4
5 Sorry about that. Here are the details...
6
7 [d530][root][~] emerge -pv portage
8
9 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
10
11 Calculating dependencies... done!
12 [ebuild R ] sys-apps/portage-2.1.6.13 USE="-build -doc -epydoc (-selinux)"
13 LINGUAS="-pl" 0 kB
14
15 Since it only shows up with mutt so far, maybe it's actually mutt...
16
17 d530 mutt # emerge -pv mutt
18
19 These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
20
21 Calculating dependencies... done!
22 [ebuild R ] mail-client/mutt-1.5.20-r4 USE="pop smime smtp -berkdb
23 -crypt -debug -doc -gdbm -gnutls -gpg -idn -imap -mbox -nls -nntp -qdbm
24 -sasl -sidebar -ssl -vanilla" 0 kB
25
26 It is remotely possible that I did make the package.use entries
27 manually, but very unlikely.
28
29 Speaking of mutt, is there a way to turn off its insistence on
30 creating symlinks called "sendmail"? My most embarressing moment as a
31 linux user came several years ago when I first created an hourly
32 cronjob. I wasn't aware of the need for ending it with "2>&1". The
33 garbage output went to root via "sendmail", which was actually a symlink
34 to mutt. mutt is a deliberately dumb mailer that simply pushes email
35 out the door to my ISP's MTA. So the hourly garbage went to root at my
36 ISP. They sent me a polite email asking me to kindly stop. <G>
37
38 I took a couple of steps then. Besides adding "2>&1" to my cronjobs,
39 I set root=<myaccount> in /etc/ssmtp/ssmpt.conf, so that any stuff
40 getting through would go to my account at my ISP, not to root at my ISP.
41 I also went around stomping on the symlinks. So far, I've discovered
42 /usr/bin/sendmail and /usr/lib/sendmail and /usr/sbin/sendmail. In each
43 case, I deleted the symlink, created a directory by that name, and did a
44 "touch .keep" inside the directory.
47 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>