From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Automation: Ripping DVDs to disk
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2011 19:37:08
1 On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I have a large DVD(movie) collection, that I want
5 > copied to hard drive(s) and a database set up
6 > about the movies. Since disc is cheap
7 > ($75/2TB) I'm not even going to fool around
8 > with conversion or compression, i.e. MPEG-2
9 > is fine for now, unless the process can
10 > be automated (see schema below). Naturally
11 > being able to store video in different formats
12 > would be a big plus.
13 >
14 > I'm very flexible on the DB so any software
15 > package that already exists in a (gui) tool
16 > form, so that I can set it up with simple
17 > instructions for an adolescent to:
18 >  load the dvd
19 >  execute the script or simple procedure
20 >  wait until dvd movie is stored on disk
21 >  then swap out for another DVD...
22 >
23 > <rinse and repeat 500+ times>
26 > What software exists, or what software
27 > would be easy to script up such an endeavor?
28
29 Basically all of the GUI DVD-ripping/recoding software are just shells
30 to run the commandline tools like transcode, ffmpeg, mencoder etc.
31
32 If you find a GUI tool to do as you wish, it should be trivial to look
33 in its logs and see exactly which commands it ran and then put that
34 into a shell script for repeated usage.
35
36 Ripping the original DVD contents is the easy part (just use vobcopy),
37 converting it to any other format can be more tricky because you get
38 problems like audio and video being out of sync that sometimes can't
39 be fixed without manual tuning.