From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Goodbye to gentoo?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 02:09:09
1 On Mar 19, 2012 8:51 AM, "William Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 18:36 -0600, Maxim Wexler wrote:
4 > > I like gentoo; there's a steep learning curve but after you pass that
5 > > it just clicks. As difficult as it ever became there was always an
6 > > answer to be found, on a blog, irc, documentaiton...
7 > >
8 > > But I might have to give up on gentoo if I can't find a way to fix
9 > > this latest difficulty. I live in the hinterland where there is no
10 > > broadband. I have to make do with a dialup modem over ~10mi of copper
11 > > wire. Now I find I can no longer dialup the internet using ppp command
12 > > #pon <isp>. The modem lights come on and the log says the DNS have
13 > > been all been assigned. status=0x0. But I can't ping out. 'Host
14 > > unreachable'.
15 > >
16 > > As slow as my connection is, I've always been able to sync portage and
17 > > use bash to write a link file which I can download at the free wifi in
18 > > town. Now I can't even do that.
19 > >
20 > > I suspect this has something to do with the openrc which seems to be
21 > > steadily "improving".. There are no error msgs other than the ping
22 > > error above. I'm sure this is gentoo specific because it doesn't
23 > > affect the Ubuntu side of my pc(yet ;().where I'm typing this. In
24 > > ubuntu I have to rmmod my wifi and ethn drivers or the same thing
25 > > happens: modem lights up, log says everything fine, but no internet.
26 > > Once every other bit of net hardware comes down, the web is reachable.
27 > > This USED to be the case for gentoo as well, but now, even that
28 > > doesn't help.
29 > >
30 > > The landline gets no respect. Now gmail is making angry noises cause I
31 > > won't give them my mobile number. But I don't have one. There isn't
32 > > even coverage out here.
33 > >
34 > > Broadband and dialup used to get along but those days seem to be gone.
35 > >
36 > > Hope somebody can see a way out.
37 > >
38 > > MW
41 > Hi Maxim, what changed when the modem stopped working?
42 >
43 > Also can you supply the output of the "route -n" and ifconfig commands
44 > to give us a chance of seeing if anything has gone adrift there. Also
45 > if you are using (and have tested that its not the problem) any firewall
46 > running.
47 >
48 > When I was on dialup, routing (issues) was always a problem and if your
49 > modem comes up and ppp is working (i.e., dns has been assigned) this is
50 > a possibility.
51 >
52 > BillK
55 Hmmm...
56
57 This happening after openrc upgrade?
58
59 Can you post the contents of /etc/conf.d/net also?
60
61 Rgds,