From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 23:54:20
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...” by mad.scientist.at.large@tutanota.com
1 On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM <mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > Have you recompiled the kernel? Could be a random, erroneous write to
5 > disk or something in the kernel compile didn't go well. I'd suggest also
6 > rebuilding the initrd
9 Yes. Same problems with several kernels and associated initrds, the latter
10 produced by genkernel or dracut or even some gibberish I pretended was an
11 initrd. From grub debug output, I believe the problem exists right before
12 the kernel tries to use the initrd. It’s contents are irrelevant at that
13 stage.
14
15 and reinstalling grub.
18 That may or may not be the answer, but it’s such an obvious step. Will
19 definitely give that a try.
20
21 I.e. I think there is likely a kernel compile issue since it doesn't ever
22 > launch the kernel succesfully either on autopilot or when you run grub
23 > interactive. Might also recompile grub, perhaps there's a change in
24 > compiler options that produces an incompatible (at least partially). I
25 > also suggest the rebuild so you can be sure you have the right initrd and
26 > matching kernel.
29 I don’t think it’s a kernel compile issue. I just now used efibootmgr to
30 create a uefi entry with kernel command line parameters to define the root
31 fs and initrd. That worked. That result focuses the blame on grub.
32
33 John