From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to set domainname
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:24:45
1 Phil Sexton schrieb:
2 > Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >
4 >> What script? /bin/domainname is not a script, but a binary. And it's
5 >> this binary, which sets the domainname. But as most users don't want
6 >> to run domainname manually all the time, there are ways to make
7 >> Gentoo call domainname. One of this ways is setting up /etc/conf.d/net.
8 >>
9 >> Alexander Skwar
10 >
11 > OK, it's a binary rather than a script. 'Scuse my sloppyness.
12
13 No problem.
14
15 > Apparently you mean that the hostname/domainname, etc. done with the
16 > binary is gone on reboot (which I do very seldom, so I hadn't noticed)
17
18 Yes, of course. In general, no unix command modifies configuration files.
19 That's, in general, done with an editor.
20
21 > I didn't think you had to run it manually unless you want to. Can't you
22 > call if from
23 >
24 > /etc/conf.d/local.start
25
26 Sure, but why do that? Why not use the mechanisms, that Gentoo
27 forsees for this?
28
29 > I thought that was the purpose of that file, to run stuff you want to on
30 > bootup.
31
32 That's not how I see the file. For me, the file is there to do stuff,
33 for which there's no "proper" way.
34
35 Alexander Skwar
36 --
37 ... the MYSTERIANS are in here with my CORDUROY SOAP DISH!!
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list