From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compositing too slow in KDE
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 19:42:06
1 On Saturday 19 March 2011 18:17:23 Dale wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > Some digging around helped a bit - I switched in SystemSettings/Desktop
4 > > Effects, the Compositing Type from OpenGL to XRender and now it does not
5 > > suspend (although 'wobbly windows' and 'Desktop Cube Animation' are
6 > > disabled.
7 > >
8 > > In E17 which I use daily the compositing works fine, until I select
9 > > OpenGL as the rendering engine and then it crashes horribly (won't even
10 > > boot).
11 > >
12 > > I have set up mesa to use gallium (if that makes any odds). Is there
13 > > anything else I need to configure to improve OpenGL performance (at
14 > > least to stop it crashing)?
15 >
16 > I have a Nvidia GT-220 card and I have mine set to OpenGL in Desktop
17 > Effects. I did run into this once before tho, I went to a console,
18 > reloaded the nvidia modules, restarted X and it worked. I'm not sure
19 > but I think I had upgraded the nvidia drivers or something and the above
20 > worked here
21 >
22 > Is your card reasonably fast? If it is at least the speed of mine, it
23 > should work since it works here. Not sure how much is required tho.
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
28
29 Unfortunately I'm running ATI:
30
31 Chipset: "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670" (ChipID = 0x9488)
34 with this driver:
35
36 x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.14.0
39 Regards,