From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing libaries
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 13:36:40
1 Hi,
2
3 On Fri, 25 May 2007 15:19:30 +0200 Florian Philipp
4 <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
5
6 > Another user had some trouble because Kaffeine couldn't
7 > play .ogg-files. In the end we found out that he activated the
8 > necessary USE-flag and re-emerged xine-lib but Kaffeine kept using
9 > the old lib which was still in RAM, I presume.
10
11 Nope, it might even be left on disk, at least as long as it is still
12 referenced from open file handles. But it doesn't really matter if that
13 library just "is somewhere". It matters whether the (instance of the)
14 application using it has still opened it.
15
16 > Naturally, the problem was solved when he rebooted but I wonder how I
17 > could achieve the effect without rebooting.
18
19 Close Kaffeine. That might be difficult if Kaffeine somehow stays
20 resident or has some "Quick start" facility (like kdeinit and stuff).
21 Check "ps" output and use "kill". At least, closing the user's session
22 is enough (if that plugin isn't run by the desktop manager, then I'd
23 suggest to kill X in order to close the DM's session as well).
24
25 -hwh
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list