From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's up with larry the cow dot org?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 12:32:09
1 On 16/10/2017 14:29, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:14:50 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't think the trustees can argue that claim anymore. Larry hasn't
5 >> been around for years on gentoo web sites (znort is still to be found
6 >> hovering at the bottom of wiki pages though!). Trademarks go away in law
7 >> if you don't protect them.
8 >
9 > Err, from https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page
10 >
11 > Welcome to the Gentoo wiki!
12 > Larry the cow welcomes you to the Gentoo wiki.
13
14 Oh dear, busted. Shows you how often I hit the wiki landing page; i.e.
15 almost never
18 >> And it was never Larry the Cow either, gentoo had
19 >> Larry the Gender-Confused Cow :-)
20 >
21 > The only confusion is the typical English language ambiguity where cow
22 > is also allowed to refer to domesticated cattle of either gender, despite
23 > being used as a label for females of so many species.
24 >
25 > Or Larry could be short for Lauren/Laura ;-)
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com