From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: quick question on ALSA_CARDS
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 20:49:39
1 On 09/05/12 23:10, Doug Hunley wrote:
2 > My SB Live! 5.1 sang its last note finally, so I'm reverting to the
3 > onboard Intel chip. I got my kernel configured already, but when I
4 > went to edit make.conf, I became confused on which of the following is
5 > correct:
6 > ALSA_CARDS="snd-hda-intel"
7 > or
8 > ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel"
9 >
10 > I googled it and, of course, found examples for both :-/
11 >
12 > I then used 'eix/' to check the alsa packages and didn't see either form.
13 >
14 > Which is correct?
15 >
16 > On a side note, is it even needed since I run a monolithic kernel?
17
18 It's not needed. It's also not needed when building sound drivers as
19 modules. AFAIK, ALSA_CARDS serves no purpose anymore, since it was used
20 to control the drivers that were built by the alsa-driver ebuild. The
21 alsa-driver package has been removed from portage.
22
23 You can simply delete ALSA_CARDS from make.conf.