From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Python: ebuilds vs. pip3 install --user
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 17:54:57
1 Background: a utility written in Python that I use regularly
2 (weasyprint) was out-of-date and is being dropped from Gentoo's
3 package database. I tried (and faield) to creaate an ebuild for a
4 more recent version. So I ended up doing
5
6 $ pip3 install --user weasyprint
7
8 That installed weasyprint and a few depdendancies (tinycss2,
9 defusedxml, ciarocffi) under ~/.local/{bin,lib64}.
10
11 Question:
12
13 Can those dependancies installed under ~/.local cause problems for
14 things that were installed using standard ebuilds which require
15 older/other versions of those libraries (which were installed using
16 standard ebuilds)?
17
18 For example, weasyprint requires cairosvg 2.4, and 2.4.2 was installed
19 under .local via the pip3 command shown above.
20
21 My stable cairosvg is 2.0.3 and it is installed in the usual "system"
22 location /usr/lib64/python3.6/site-packages by the normal "emerge"
23 process. [IIRC, at one point I tried unmasking 2.4.2, but that caused
24 a cascade of other problems.]
25
26 Q: Under what conditions will having a second installation of a Python
27 library under .local cause problems?
30 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! If I felt any more
31 at SOPHISTICATED I would DIE
32 gmail.com of EMBARRASSMENT!