From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xmms alternative
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 17:25:18
1 On Saturday 28 October 2006 03:35, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 12:27:52PM +0200, Harm Geerts wrote
3 > > On Friday 27 October 2006 06:00, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > > > amarok ==> Even worse than xine. It's a Windows Media Player
5 > > > wannabee bloated frontend that ends up launching xine. In addition to
6 > > > building xinelib, it also builds kde-base, ruby, and a bunch of other
7 > > > junk.
8 > >
9 > > Amarok is Microsofts wet dream.
10 > > Amarok has so much more to offer.
11 >
12 > That insult against Amarok is stronger than anything else I can think
13 > of, and beautifully explains exactly what I find wrong with it.
14
15 Just because *you* wouldn't use it, doesn't mean it's crap...
16 Just because *you* wouldn't use it, doesn't mean you have to badmouth it.
17
18 You seem to forget people spend time creating these great programs at no cost.
19 You don't insult the program, you insult the people behind it.
20
21 But even worse is that you based your *opinion* on a screenshot and the
22 dependencies without even touching the program... and then tell the whole
23 world it sucks.
24
25 If that's not an insult, I don't know what is...
26
27 Voicing an opinion is fine, but keep in mind that it *requires* you to have
28 decent arguments to back you up, and it does *not* give you the right to be
29 rude. If you feel the need to express thoughts outside that box, you should
30 take them somewhere else. Cause I don't think the members of this list have
31 any need for meaningless statements like that.
32
33 > Amarok constitutes a replacement for xmms just like an 18-wheeler
34 > tractor-trailer combo constitutes a replacement for a half-ton pickup
35 > truck.
36
37 Amarok is not a replacement, amarok is an alternative, which is exactly what
38 this thread is about. If you compare them as equals your statement holds
39 truth, *nobody* would argue that.
40 --
41 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list