From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gentoo-user] multipath.conf : learning how to use
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 13:29:31
1 On 8/16/19 7:42 PM, Laurence Perkins wrote:
2
3 > Note that, in my experience at least, binary distros also tend to
4 > break hard if you leave them without updates for a year or more and
5 > then try to bring them current. And they're usually harder to fix
6 > when they do. So make sure that whatever you put in is kept up to
7 > date.
8 >
9 > The stable branch of a good binary distro has a big advantage
10 > there, especially with a snapshottable filesystem, because the
11 > updates can be handed off to a trained monkey, leaving the experts
12 > free for the important stuff. But it's not a magic bullet. If you
13 > don't write good documentation and keep the system up to date
14 > you'll end up in the exact same position a few years down the road
15 > no matter what distro you use.
16
17 I agree ... there'll be unattended updates automatically and I am
18 monitoring and using that server on a regular base anyway.
19
20 The goal now is to get a well-known state with less maintenance
21 complexity.
22
23 I am currently booking my tickets there ;-)