From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to switch from rust to rust-bin?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 14:29:33
1 On 07/09/20 20:54, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2020-09-07, Andreas K Hüttel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> That works, but pretty please try something else first!
5 >>
6 >> # make sure source-based rust is not in the world file
7 >> emerge --deselect dev-lang/rust
8 >>
9 >> emerge -1 dev-lang/rust-bin
10 >>
11 >> It should be as easy as that. *If* all dependencies are fulfilled by
12 >> both rust and rust-bin, then the second emerge call will unmerge
13 >> rust and merge rust- bin.
14 >
15 > It did not. I executed the two commands shown above (the first
16 > reported that no such atom was found in the world file). I ended up
17 > with both dev-lang/rust and dev-lang/rust-bin installed.
18
19 If rust is called in as a dependency, it won't be in the world file, so
20 the first command will have no effect ...
21 >
22 > When I subsequently ran "emerge --depclean --ask" it wanted to unmerge
23 > dev-lang/rust-bin.
24
25 rust-bin was emerged with the -1 option, ie "don't stick it in world" option
26 >
27 > I had to manually unmerge dev-lang/rust to get rid of it (which then
28 > prevented --depclean from trying to unmerge rust-bin).
29 >
30 So --depclean, relying on what is in world, notices that nothing has a
31 dependency on rust-bin and wants to remove it.
32 > --
33 > Grant
34 >
35 What you need to do (and this is a pain, but ...) is to add rust-bin to
36 the world file. There may be a --select option (opposite of deselect),
37 or I'd just manually add it to the world file.
38
39 At which point, anything with the virtual rust dependency will notice
40 that rust-bin is installed, and use that.
41
42 There's no way I know of to tell portage to use rust-bin rather than
43 rust to satisfy the virtual and, indeed, it makes sense for rust-bin
44 *not* to be the default.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Wol