From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gvfs, cameras, and me
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 05:57:15
1 Andy Wilkinson wrote:
2 > So, the only issue that I consistently have in Gentoo anymore is that
3 > there exist periods of time (probably coincident with gphoto2 or gvfs
4 > upgrades) wherein I can't automount my PTP digital camera (a Nikon
5 > D60, if it's relevant) and use gthumb to import my photos. I'm able
6 > to use gphoto2 to do so just fine, and so I do, but it bothers me that
7 > the way I'd prefer to do things doesn't work the way I'd like it to.
8 > Currently I'm in a "doesn't work" phase, as you may have surmised.
9 >
10 > To make matters worse, when gvfs/nautilus doesn't see the camera at
11 > all, I have no idea at all how to find out what messages might have
12 > been sent where, or why gvfs might not be seeing it, or
13 > what-have-you. None of the usual suspects (dmesg, /var/log/messages,
14 > ~/.xsession-errors) have anything useful. dmesg does at least tell me
15 > that I'm seeing the USB device properly.
16 >
17 > Is there a tried-and-true method of at least troubleshooting this sort
18 > of issue, or am I stuck throwing darts at the different gphoto2 and
19 > gvfs builds in portage?
20 >
21 > I've attached emerge --info gvfs gphoto2, for the curious.
22 >
23 > Thanks,
24 >
25 > -Andy
26
27 Firstly, I don't use Gnome and our cameras are different. This may not
28 matter for your setup but thought it worth checking into. I have this
29 for my Canon in make.conf:
30
31 CAMERAS="canon ptp2"
32
33 I use the ptp2 and most likely need to remove the other but you may need
34 to set yours to something that your camera uses. CAMERAS="ptp2" just
35 may work.
36
37 Usually a emerge -pv <package> will show the options available. It does
38 here anyway.
39
40 Hope that helps.
41