From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: memory(gray matter) needs jog
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 00:22:05
1 On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 17:05 -0700, walt wrote:
2 > > I'm not sure why your system needed to be checked for each boot...
3 >
4 > Boy, my 'little gray cells' need a tonic, too. I've been using ext3
5 > (i.e.with journaling) for so long I can't even remember using ext2.
6 >
7 > Wasn't it normal in the old days to fsck an ext2 fs with every boot?
10 You should put your drink down. And maybe go for a walk :)
11
12 No, I'm not aware of it *ever* being standard to fsck on every boot.
13 Perhaps you were using a bad distribution? True, Linux does run fsck on
14 every boot, but fsck exits immediately if it determines your filesystem
15 was unmounted cleanly on the last shutdown. It's only if you force a
16 fsck (e.g. with -f or /forcefsck) that it will run fsck on a clean
17 filesystem.
18
19 And remember, ext2 has *no* journal, so fsck was always very very slow.
20 To run it every time on a reboot would have been so painful that I
21 believe ext3 would have been invented in the early '90s instead of
22 2001 :)