From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Run command after root mounted ro?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 19:32:02
1 Greetings,
2
3 I discovered a possible reason for mdadm always marking my raid array as
4 bad on reboot. The problem is I don't know how to check for the issue.
5
6 When using root on a native mdadm raid, the kernel handles the array
7 state transition at shutdown, so it's not a big deal. However, it's
8 different when using external metadata - mdadm must be called before the
9 reboot.
10
11 Apparently mdadm must be called after the root filesystem is mounted
12 read-only. Then it can mark the array as clean and not rebuild every
13 single reboot.
14
15 Where do I check this? The /etc/init.d/mdadm script happens well before
16 root is mounted read-only.
17
18 Apparently `mdadm --wait-clean --scan` needs to be called so the
19 external metadata is updated correctly. If you use this command with a
20 native mdadm raid it does nothing, but it's critical apparently to the
21 health of other metadata types.
22
23 I've grepped through /etc/init.d/ and found nothing.
24
25 Dan