From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rhythmbox plays silently
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 21:20:19
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On Tuesday 25 March 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
5 > > Good evening!
6 > >
7 > > I've got a problem with media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 on
8 > > my new ~x86 system. When I play an MP3 file, I see that rb
9 > > progresses and when I turn on visualization, I see the sound.
10 > > But I hear nothing at all :/
11 > >
12 > > Any ideas about why that's so?
13 > >
14 > > The volume slider in rb is all the way up. Also all the sliders
15 > > in the mixer are all up. And when I use a different player,
16 > > like Amarok, VLC or MPlayer, I hear sound when I play the song
17 > > that's silent in Rhythmbox. This happens with all the songs
18 > > I tried.
19 > >
20 > > Well - what to do?
21 >
22 > Easy.
23 >
24 > Don't use rhythmbox. Don't use Gnome.
25
26 Why's that? Any particular reason why I should not use good
27 programs?
28
29 > Do use KDE.
30
31 Most certainly not.
32
33 > Do use Amarok. Do use mplayer.
34
35 If it makes sense.
36
37 > *especially* do use mplayer.
38
39 Nope. Not for that task. You know, unlike you, I'm more into
40 using tools that are made for a task.
41
42 > I know this isn't what you want to hear.
43
44 Exactly. I wanted to hear helpful comments.
45
46 > I just couldn't resist an open
47 > invitation to dig at Gnome.
48
49 Oh, you mean you couldn't resist an open invitation to make
50 yourself look like a fool? You were quite successul in doing
51 so, I've gotta say, by replying without knowing an answer - or
52 did you just wanted to look like a moron?
53
54 Well - "mission accomplished", as they say.
55
56 > I'll crawl back into my KDE and e17 fanboy
57 > clubhouse and shut up now.
58
59 It would've been better if you would've just shut up right
60 from the beginning - or simply post helpful comments. The
61 latter would be the preferred option, as far as I'm concerned.
62
63 Michael
64
65 PS: Does anyone know if Gmane features a troll filter?
68 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list