From: Simon <turner25@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] File synchronisation utility (searching for/about to program it)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:10:44
1 > I'm the last you would want to give advice about this question, but even
2 > though I am not a programmer, I have been using git to sync on three
3 > different systems. I am using a flash drive as a cache, so to speak. I
4 > followed some tips from the Emacs org-mode mailing list to get this going.
5 > It wasn't simple for me to recover when some files got out of sync on one of
6 > the machines, but it was simple enough that even I could figure it out. I
7 > used a bare repo on the flash drive and push from each machine to this, a
8 > very simple procedure that can be automated through cron, and pull to each
9 > machine also from the bare repository. I am not syncing a programming
10 > project, but my various work.
11
12 Your reply is more than welcome!
13
14 I have tried using git in the past and found that it doesnt work in my
15 'space constrained' scenario. The need for a repository is a problem.
16 The use of the usbkey however is nice since it allows git to work
17 without having each computer maintain its own repository... but
18 still... i dont currently have a usbkey that's large enough to hold
19 all my data, even if i could compress it i doubt it would fit.
20
21 Another thing is, i wonder if it retains the attributes of the file
22 (creation date, mod date, owner/group, permissions)? As this can be
23 important on some aspects of my synchronisation needs.
24
25 Still, git is a very good solution that works incrementally in a
26 differential manner (makes patches from previous versions). But when
27 i tried it, i found to suit my needs it would require the programming
28 of a big wrapper that would interface git to make some daily quick
29 actions simpler than a few git commands.
30
31 > Again, I am the least clueful you will find on this list, but if you wish
32 > for me to tell you the steps I followed, that is possible. One of the
33 > mailing list threads that got me up to speed relatively quickly was at this
34 > link. (Hope it's ok to link another mailing list from this one.)
35 >
36 > http://www.mail-archive.com/emacs-orgmode@×××.org/msg11647.html
37
38 I'll check it out... since i have my own solution all thought of and
39 designed, i'll be able to compare it and re-evaluate git from a new
40 angle. As far as i can tell, there is no rule against links, but i
41 think there might be against publicity (ie if the link was to your
42 business product that fullfills my need).
43
44 > I apologize if the existence of a bare repo as an intermediary is a problem.
45 > This can be done on a server as well.
46
47 It is... it makes all my computer dependant on that repo... sync'ing
48 computers at home can be done alright, but will still require walking
49 around pluging/unpluging. Makes this practically impossible to do
50 over the network (or to sync my host on the internet, not all my pc
51 are connected to the internet so the repo cant be just on the server,
52 i would have to maintain several repositories to work this out...).
53 It may be possible to adapt it to my scenario, but i think it will
54 require a lot of design in advance... but i'll check it out... at
55 worst it will convince me i should program my own, better it will give
56 me some good ideas or fortify some of my own good ideas and at best it
57 will be the thing i've been looking for!
58
59 Thanks again!
60
61 Simon