From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernels & swap usage
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 06:16:48
1 Am 07.08.2012 07:02, schrieb Philip Webb:
2 > Just an observation : when I updated Libre Office & Firefox this week,
3 > neither compile used swap (I have 4 GB RAM);
4 > OTOH when I did them the previous time, both did use swap;
5 > the total time & the HDD usage remained almost the same.
6 > In between, I updated the Kernel 3.0.0 -> 3.4.0 ,
7 > but made no other changes in config files etc.
8 >
9 > Does anyone have thoughts re the effect of kernel versions on swapping ?
12 Did Firefox ever actually need to swap? Here it does a fair share of
13 disk I/O (some python script?) but never actually needs lots of memory.
14
15 With Libre Office, it could be their recent code cleaning effort. They
16 removed large amounts of cruft.