From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Seagate ST8000NM0065 PMR or SMR plus NAS SAS SATA question
Date: Fri, 22 May 2020 18:06:13
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 12:15 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> The thing about the one I have now in use by LVM for /home, one is SMR and one is PMR. Even if the OS is aware, does it even know which drive the data is going to end up being stored on? I'm pretty sure since the PMR drive was in use before the SMR that the PMR is likely full. From my understanding, LVM doesn't balance the data out. It will fill up a drive and then move on to the next. If you add another, it will fill up the 2nd drive and then start on the newly added drive. Maybe it does do some magic but does the OS know which drive data is going to hit?
4 >>
5 > So, as far as I'm aware nothing on linux is natively optimized for
6 > SMR. I'm sure some people use host-managed SMR drives on linux for
7 > application-specific writing, but they're probably writing raw blocks
8 > without using a filesystem.
9 >
10 > However, if anything was going to be made SMR-aware then it would have
11 > to be implemented at all block layers, just like barrier support. I
12 > think back in the early days of barrier support some layers didn't
13 > support it, and a barrier can only make it from the filesystem to the
14 > drive if it is implemented in lmv+mdadm+driver and so on.
15 >
16 > If somebody added SMR support to ext4 but not to LVM then ext4
17 > wouldn't detect the LV as an SMR drive, because lvm wouldn't pass that
18 > through.
19 >
20 > I suspect sooner or later a solution will emerge, but it could be a
21 > while. I suspect any solution would be for drives that could be set
22 > to be host-managed, because otherwise you're working around an extra
23 > layer of obfuscation. Maybe you could have trim support without
24 > further optimization, but that obviously isn't ideal.
28 That's why I want to avoid them if at all possible.  The best way to
29 know what I'm getting is to get what I know works best due to the fact
30 they been around for ages.
31
32 To your point tho, it would likely take quite some effort to make every
33 layer aware of SMR.  Like you said, everything has to detect it and be
34 able to work with it or it fails and defaults to what we know slows
35 things down, to a crawl in some large write situations.
36
37 I read some of the link that was posted.  I'm going to try to read it
38 again and hopefully finish it later, after I dig up and replace about a
39 100 feet of sewer line.  Tractor and really, REALLY, wet soil does not
40 go well for a sewer line only a few inches underground.  Gonna have to
41 go deeper and put some better fill in this time.
42
43 Dale
44