From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: amarok fade down
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 17:20:47
1 On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
2 > On 02/05/2012 06:02 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In short, both GStreamer and VLC can do anything that Xine do, and
5 >> they probably do it better. If something is not working properly, it
6 >> probably is a problem with the integration with KDE (via phonon). This
7 >> should be fixed by them in a short time.
10 > Stuff doesn't get fixed. Instead, new bugs keep piling up. KDE is going down
11 > the drain. If the trend continues, KDE 4.9 will be of the same stability as
12 > 4.0.
13
14 When Totem (the GNOME media player) changed its backend from Xine to
15 GStreamer (way back in 2004 or 2005), it took a while to fix all the
16 regressions. But eventually it got really, really nice. And back then
17 GStreamer was not as nice as it is now. Have a little faith in the
18 devs and do your part (fill bugs, use the betas, follow upstream
19 closely), and in the end everything sorta kinda maybe will work out.
20
21 Sixteen years using Linux as my exclusive OS has taught me that's the
22 only sane way to see things. The alternative is to get angry a lot and
23 grow ulcers and maybe cancer.
24
25 Regards.
26 --