From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 00:09:47
1 On 10/12/2013 01:34, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2013-12-09, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>>
4 >>> I understand that sometimes a maintainer decides to add a feature that
5 >>> requires some new dependancies, but why three different versions of
6 >>> Ruby all of a sudden?
7 >
8 >> That's the default if you havent specified which version of ruby you
9 >> want, via RUBY_TARGETS in make.conf.
10 >
11 > That seems broken to me.
12 >
13 > Are there packages that require all three versions of Ruby?
18 No, there are packages that can use all versions but I know of none that
19 require them all.
20
21 Python is in a similar position with 2.x and 3.x plus all the other
22 implementations too. Portage has no way of knowing what pythons you
23 have, need, or want to use. So the logic is:
24
25 If you specify in make.conf which versions you want, you get those
26 versions, otherwise you get all versions. Individual ebuilds that use
27 ruby may specify which versions they will be built against, so that you
28 can chop and change the ruby slot in use and your ruby apps still work.
29
30 Personally, I'm getting a little tired of this eternal fascination with
31 the latest greatest flavour of the day interpreter just because it's
32 shiny and new. And rub devs are amongst the worst I have seen anywhere
33 (worse than php and that's saying something). I know a little of what I
34 talk about, the row of desks behind me has perl, python, php and ruby
35 devs who belong to teams with definite preferences as to the
36 implementation language. Matching code and app quality with experience
37 and language used is an interesting mapping exercise.
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com