From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:13:53
1 On 2013-08-19 08:35, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > sysvinit, like X11, needs a massive overhaul and a sprint clean.
4
5 Yes, an overhaul is always welcome. But most people criticising these
6 systems (and other systems) just say that they are bad without pointing
7 out what is bad. How can you fix something without knowing what's bad?
8 To me the problem with sysvinit (and X11) seems mostly to be a
9 philosophical one. Some people say: "this doesn't work the way I want it
10 to - therefore it's crap!". While others (like me) say: "I have no
11 problem with this - it works fine!".
12
13 From a technical standpoint, does sysvinit fulfill the technical
14 requirements (i.e. the "specification")? I honestly don't know, I just
15 think/assume it does since we've been using it for, what, 30 years or so
16 (SVR1 was released in January 1983 acc. to [1]) and I've never had any
17 problems with it. Does the "specification" need to be updated? I'm sure
18 it does but to throw out everything and start from scratch is not the
19 way I would go (unless it's technically required because of some
20 fundamental issue - and I disagree with people thinking there's a
21 fundamental issue here).
22 Now, some people who thinks the computer should sing and dance to them
23 (seems to me mostly the Gnome crowd) while booting, I can understand
24 that sysvinit may not fit their "philosophy". I am not one of them.
25 Basically I want the computer to do as little as possible, i.e. not
26 waste one cycle unless _absolutely_ necessary; _all_ compute power
27 should be available to me and me only for whatever purpose I see fit.
28 The computer is a tool, a hammer if you will and I don't want a hammer
29 with built-in radio, a fan to cool you down, a radiator to warm you up
30 or a tv screen (or whatever). Of course, computers being so complex
31 these days (I started out with a Commodore PET in the late 70ies), there
32 has to be compromises. And I think that sysvinit with it's init scripts
33 (i.e. OpenRC) is a good compromise because I don't care about boot time
34 (as mentioned in another mail most of the time is spent in BIOS/UEFI
35 anyway). Having said that I wouldn't mind if we refined sysvinit/OpenRC
36 carefully, getting rid of bugs (even though I've never encountered any),
37 refining the "blueprints/specification" so that it fits the customers
38 wishes (within reason).
39
40 Basically what I'm trying to say is: The "technical" arguments that have
41 been brought forward pro/con sysvinit(+OpenRC)/systemd I think is bogus.
42 It is just a philosophical disagreement between parties having different
43 goals, which I'm not sure can be fully satisfied by either side.
44
45 [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_System_V
46
47 Best regards