From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System maintenance procedure?
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 06:10:24
1 On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:36:10 -0600
2 Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 04:48:24PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 > >
6 > > > workstation ~ # emerge -a @preserved-rebuild
7 > > > emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
8 > > > emerge: no targets left after set expansion
9 > >
10 > > So you have nothing that needs rebuilding. Portage will warn you
11 > > when the set it non-empty, telling you to run emerge
12 > > @preserved-rebuild. There is no need to run it at any other time.
13 >
14 > After using Gentoo for close to two years, the only time/place I've
15 > ever even seen @preserved-rebuild is in this thread. Yet you say,
16 > "Portage will warn you when the set is [it] non-empty, telling you to
17 > run emerge @preserved-rebuild."
18 >
19 > How will portage do this? An alias 'ud'
20 >
21 > alias ud='eix-sync && emerge -aDjNuv @world && dispatch-conf &&
22 > emerge -a --depclean && revdep-rebuild -i && clear && exit'
23 >
24 > is run every morning with my first cup of coffee. If something were
25 > changed or left off that alias do you suppose this mysterious
26 > @preserved-rebuild would be run?
27
28 No, you would likely never see it. Your alias runs revdep-rebuild,
29 which would inelegantly fix the very problem that @preserved-rebuild
30 elegantly fixes.
31
32 Of course, all this assumes that your version of portage supports
33 @preserved-rebuild
34
35 To use it, you simply notice the portage message right at the end of an
36 emerge and run "emerge @preserved-rebuild" - it's just a regular emerge
37 using a particular built-in set that has a defined purpose
41 Alan McKinnon
42 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com