From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google Mail still not recognising Gentoo KMail
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 17:01:10
1 On Thursday, 7 November 2019 12:12:41 GMT Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 7 November 2019 10:47:19 GMT Антон Кулешов wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > Create 'Application-specific password required' in your google account and
6 > > use it instead of your google password. Try this link
7 > > myaccount.google.com/apppasswords
8 >
9 > A couple of months ago Kmail stopped working with OAuth2. I assumed Gmail
10 > changed their OAuth2 implementation and Kmail hadn't caught up with the
11 > changes.
12 >
13 > The way I managed this change so far, has been to set my Google Account
14 > security settings to allow "less secure apps":
15 >
16 > https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
17 >
18 > Then change the Kmail/Settings/Receiving/Advanced/Authentication from
19 > "Gmail" to "Plain". The other relevant settings are "SSL/TLS" and port
20 > "993".
21 >
22 > When selecting "Gmail" authentication, it used to be the case qtwebengine
23 > would launch a GUI in which you would login into the Gmail security web GUI
24 > to set up an application specific password. I don't know if this works
25 > now, it didn't last time I tried it, a few months ago. I suspect it won't
26 > work if you have "less secure app access" enabled.
27
28 I tried that, and I remember I used to have something similar set up too, but
29 since that change you mention at Google, apparently it's no longer possible to
30 create a new account in KMail to work with google mail. Google just blocks the
31 attempt and issues me with a critical security issue.
32
33 > Anyway, I better send this message before I start tweaking my Google
34 > security settings and end up locking myself out of my account! LOL!
35 >
36 > PS. TBH I'm finding all this Google omniscience troublesome and their
37 > security settings tiresome. Perhaps it's time I took my email data
38 > elsewhere.
39
40 Looks like I'll have to use a different email client for gmail. Can I even
41 have two MUAs active at the same time?
44 Regards,
45 Peter.