From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BUG: using smp_processor_id() in preemptible [00000000] code: X/4018
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 02:10:36
1 On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sunday 30 January 2011 12:40:29 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>    I haven't used the closed source ATI driver for long but I don't
6 >> remember seeing this dmesg error before. It's not high priority for me
7 >> as I'll be switching out the graphics card to an NVidia card hopefully
8 >> tomorrow, but is this something that should get reported somewhere, or
9 >> is it just the nature of the fglrx driver? Or maybe I've not
10 >> configured the kernel as well as it could before this driver?
11 >>
12 >>    Kernel is 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, ati-drivers-10.11.
13 >>
14 >>    I did do a modules-rebuild -X rebuild and reboot to ensure it's
15 >> repeatable.
16 >>
17 >>    I suspect the LKML doesn't want this report as it's a closed source
18 >> driver. Do the XFree guys want it?
19 >
20 > certainly not. You don't use anything from Xfree.
23 My bad. Really I guess I meant X.org
24
25 http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/
26
27 They supply the server, correct? And everything going to the fglrx
28 driver comes from the server, somehow, doesn't it?
29
30 None the less it seems like the message suggests that the driver is
31 coded incorrectly.
32
33 Please note that I don't actually see any problems. The system
34 continues to work about as well as it ever has with this card/driver
35 combination, and there's only a few of these messages in dmesg.
36
37 >> AMD maybe?
40 > certainly. If you can reproduce it with a vanilla kernel.
41 > Because I don't see anything like this with vanilla kernels.
44 Yeah, probably too much work for the time I have available right now,
45 and if I remove the HD 5770 in favor of the new NVidia card tomorrow
46 afternoon then it won't happen until I try the card in some system at
47 a future date. (Assuming I don't sell it as 'used' and just be done
48 with ATI for the 4th time...)
49
50 Also, there is a 10.12 driver in portage that wasn't available when I
51 switched to fglrx. I should try that also.
52
53 Cheers,
54 Mark
55