From: "Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov" <ploujj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lp unable to detect parallel printer hp 710c
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 19:43:10
1 On 8/29/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 8/29/06, Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov <ploujj@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > # CONFIG_PARPORT_1284 is not set
4 >
5 > You need this.
6
7 Wow, indeed enabling this allowed lp to detect my printer again!
8 I didn't know about this before, nor did the Gentoo printing guide
9 mentioned it. I am sending an email to the authors of that guide to
10 include a note about IEEE 1284.
11
12 Interestingly enough, my previous install, which used 2.6.16-r9 does
13 not have this setting set, but the config file mentions it and my
14 printer worked fine.
15
16 I did find info that my printer does use IEEE 1284:
17 http://shopping.msn.com/specs/shp/?itemId=24972550
20 > You also need CONFIG_PRINTER (Parallel printer support under Character
21 > Devices) if you don't already have it.
22
23 Always had this enabled :)
26 () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
27 /\ - against HTML mail & vCards