From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 18:18:08
1 On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:34:01 -0600, Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >
4 >> Thanks for the info everyone, but do you understand the agony I am now
5 >> suffering at the fact that all disk in my system (including all parts
6 >> of my RAID5) are starting on sector 63 and I don't have sufficient
7 >> free space (or free time) to repartition them? :)
8 >
9 > With the RAID, you could fail one disk, repartition, re-add it, rinse and
10 > repeat. But that doesn't take care of the time issue.
11
12 I will admit that if a drive fails I will have to google for the
13 instructions to proceed from there. When I first set it up, I read the
14 info, but since I never had to use it I've completely forgotten the
15 specifics. And in hindsight I should have labeled the disks so I know
16 more easily which one failed (when one fails). Next time, I'll do it
17 right. :)
18
19 >> I am really curious
20 >> if there are any gains to be made on my own system...
21 >
22 > Me too, so post back after you've done it ;-)
23
24 I have a dmcrypt on top of the (software) RAID5, so speed is not so
25 much of an issue in this case, but reducing physical wear & tear on
26 the disks would always be a good thing. Maybe someday if I am brave I
27 will try it... but probably not until I made a full backup, just in
28 case.