From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fragmentation of my drives. Curious mostly
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 11:46:12
1 On Friday 28 November 2008 13:14:42 Dale wrote:
2 > If this is a little high, what would be the best way to defrag it?
3
4 By not defragging it.
5
6 It's not Windows. Windows boxes needs defragging not because fragmentation is
7 a huge problem in itself, but because windows filesystems are a steaming mess
8 of cr@p that do little right and most things wrong. Defrag treats the
9 symptom, not the cause :-)
10
11 Reiser tends to self-balance itself out. What is especially noteworthy is that
12 none of the general purpose Linux filesystems provide a defrag utility.
13 Theodore 'Tso and Hans Reiser are both exceptional programmers, if there was
14 a need for such a tool they would assuredly have written one. They did not,
15 so there probably isn't.
16
17 Any Linux defrag tool you encounter will have been written by a third party
18 separate from the developers. It will move blocks around and update
19 superblocks, the drive will have to be unmounted for that to work and a
20 slight misunderstanding of how to do it will ruin data.
21
22 Are you willing to take the very real risk of data corruption?
23
24 > Is
25 > there a best way?  I do have a second hard drive that I back up too.
26 > Both Drives are 80Gbs and I do have a set of DVD back ups as well.  I
27 > can update those pretty quick.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com