From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2016 06:34:04
1 On 09/11/2016 02:52, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> 1. Do it yourself and do it properly - get a static IP from your ISP
5 >> 2. Don't do it yourself and do it properly - use your ISP's mail
6 >> relays, or use a relay provider
7 >
8 > Can you give an example of a relay provider... or do you mean
9 > smtp.gmail.com or the like?
10
11 You could use gmail but I get the feeling that's not what you are after.
12 That market tends to be localized, especially if you want some
13 individual attention for a reasonable fee. Around here there's for
14 example Synaq but you are nowhere near Johannesburg so that won't help
15 you much.
16
17 Recommendations from folks closer to where you live and work is what you
18 need, it's a very mature market so someone will offer what you need
21 > I tried several times to use newsguy's smtp servers, They host one of
22 > my pop3 email accounts, but never could get it working. I have got
23 > fastmail.com smtp server to work and gmail too but with either, sooner
24 > or later something changes and I'm left dinking around with it for a
25 > week until I finally hit on the right formula.
26 >
27 >> Why are you even trying to do this yourself? I do this for a living and
28 >> I can tell you it's a pain in the butt you don't want (*I* don't even
29 >> want it, I shove mail services off onto other teams as fast as I can get
30 >> them to take it...)
31 >
32 > I think you just convinced me it is a bad bad idea. thanks.
33 >
34 > Nice to hear from a veterano mail dude.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com