From: William Gabriel <wpgabriel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Question about Portage Update
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 20:22:30
1 Hello and Happy New Year to everybody:
2
3 I want to start this post off by stressing that I am not complaining,
4 but merely inquiring.
5
6 I have recently become interested in learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails.
7 I installed Ruby onto my system using Portage, and it happened to be
8 the version (1.8.2) required for Rails.
9
10 I got comfortable with Ruby, and I now want to install Rails. I
11 started with the typical 'emerge --sync' and found that the most
12 recent version of Rails in Portage is 0.13.1. A lot of work has gone
13 into Rails to get it to version 1.0.0, and that is the version I would
14 like to install. Naturally, I would also like Portage to manage the
15 installation over manually installing it.
16
17 My main question has to do with about how Portage gets updated. Is
18 there some central authority that updates the repository, or is it any
19 user that is interested in making a Portage package? How often does
20 software get updated (it seems like Ruby was pretty close to
21 up-to-date, but Rails was a little behind).
22
23 Is there any way that I can help update the package? Is there
24 documentation for updating packages? And where would I find the
25 0.13.1 package source so that I have a base to work with? And then
26 how wou submit the new package to the central repository?
27
28 Thanks,
29 Bill
32 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list