From: Robert Walker <robert_mt_walker@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ~amd64 compatibility with modern cpus -- REBOOT OK THIS A.M.
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 22:12:00
1 On 14/12/12 22:03, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > A friend suggested a big lightning storm a month ago might have
3 > temporarily scrambled something. It tripped breakers in the house and
4 > blew out a battery in the standby generator shed, but I've rebooted
5 > twice since that storm without any problems. I guess it will remain a
6 > mystery.
7
8 OT...
9
10 @Felix,
11 I amused to read this thread. I've an old dual-Opteron box that I'm
12 still using. It was my first "watercooling" experiment. Apart from the
13 complete lack of power management support (the system sucks down a
14 continuous 300+Watts) and no Vt-d hardware virtualisation support it's
15 quite a pleasant rig to play about with :-)
16
17 One thing I swear by is my big-ass APC 3000 UPS. I spent as more on my
18 UPS than my current laptop (and it wasn't a cheap laptop!!) Gradually
19 switching over to Season-X series PSU's as well. Clean power and good
20 cooling is a mantra I swear by... I rarely ever have an "act of god"
21 hardware failure (touch ground)... :-)
22
23 Bob