From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about flakey RAM
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 19:36:42
1 On Tue, 27 Jan 2015 15:28:11 -0800 walt wrote:
2 > Yesterday I installed 4GB more of RAM in this machine for a total of 8GB, and
3 > the machine soon began random segfaulting and even a kernel crash or two, so
4 > obviously I suspected the new RAM was faulty.
5 >
6 > I let memtest86+ run overnight and it found zero memory errors. Today I
7 > exchanged the new RAM anyway and got a different brand this time, and
8 > that fixed the problem.
9 >
10 > My question is why didn't memtest86+ find any errors? Could it be that the
11 > first RAM I bought was actually okay but this machine didn't like it for some
12 > reason? Both were DDR3/1333MHz, just from different manufacturers.
13
14 As an addition to earlier posted comments:
15
16 1) memtest86+ has a bit fade test which is not enabled by default
17 (at least for 4.x branch which is the latest in tree now), so
18 you have to enable and run it manually. IIRC it is enabled by
19 default in 5.x branch (bug pending in bugzilla). By the way 5.x
20 have some additional tests which may find faults unknown to 4.x
21
22 2) The same frequency is not enough to guarantee memory banks
23 compatibility. They may require different timings or, less probably,
24 voltage. Some BIOS tuning may help here.
25
26 3) Memory may be (un)buffered, (un)registered, ecc/non-ecc. Many of
27 these combinations are not compatible with each other.
28
29 4) In some rare cases even banks with the same parameters from
30 different manufacturers are not compatible due to technological
31 differences (this goes down to how logical circuits are
32 implemented).
33
34 Best regards,
35 Andrew Savchenko