From: Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Libsld, what gives?
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:21:52
1 Andreas Fink wrote:
2 > On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 02:11:18 -0500
3 > Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I'm jackhammering the system now and I'm getting about 50% error spew
6 > I would suggest a different tool than a jackhammer to fix the problems.
7
8 Basic assumption: Problems are caused by outdated packages.
9 Underlying problem: In order to break a log-jam it is necessary to purge
10 outdated packages.
11 Facts on the ground: The only way to make ANY progress in updating
12 outdated packages is to jackhammer the hell out of all packages in hopes
13 that some of them might sucessfully update which will, hopefully either:
14
15 A. allow other packages to sucessfully update
16 B. Expose something that can be fixed.
17
18 Once the logjam is broken, the system is then --emptytree world'ed and
19 declared healthy... Expected failure rate is on the order of 0.3% of
20 hopefully unimportant packages.
21
22 It is known that the KDE group of packages has incomplete dependency
23 graph because it is hopelessly convoluted, and it always causes problems
24 and the only way to break through it is the jackhammer approach.
25
26 LLVM and friends also fails to update when updating within a single slot
27 and this is VERY annoying...
28
29 What causes me to post to the list is when I get failures that prevent
30 me from even beginning to jackhammer the system.
33 Beware of Zombies. =O
34 #EggCrisis #BlackWinter
35 White is the new Kulak.
36 Powers are not rights.