From: Andrey Gerasimenko <gak@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Did I just get hacked???
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 17:58:52
1 On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 03:51:20 +0300, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
2 wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:34:45 -0800, Grant wrote:
5 >
6 >> It occurred to me this morning that a hacker could have gained access
7 >> to my system via the vmware guest OS (XP) and then deleted the
8 >> contents of vmware/ to cover his tracks. Does that sound like a
9 >> possibility?
10 >
11 > Not unless you have the vmware directory mounted within the guest OS. The
12 > VM cannot access filesystems on the host unless they are created as disks
13 > on the VM or network mounted.
17 This is correct, but if the virtual machine is on the same network as the
18 host, then it is posible to get the VM, than the host, and finally to
19 delete the VM.
20
21 Theoretically it is also possible to get to the host through the VmWare
22 Tools, provided they are installed on the guest, but I have never heard
23 this done.
26 Andrei Gerasimenko
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list