From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE plasmashell and wallpapers.
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 20:42:16
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 24 Dec 2019 12:35:41 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> My temporary solution, I pointed it to a small directory that only
5 >>>> has a couple dozen images in it. That seems to work.
6 >>> Is there a difference in the metadata of these few images compared
7 >>> with the rest in the whole directory?
8 >> It's actually a small directory of the exact same images.  I might add,
9 >> the clock does skip a second or so when I add them so I suspect it
10 >> performs the same action, it just has a much smaller number of them.
11 >> It's hard to say.  Point being, I'm using the same images as before,
12 >> just a smaller sub-directory.
13 > Have you tried using the smaller directory and then addng a few (hundred)
14 > images at a time, letting the scan finish and then repeating.
15 >
16 > I wonder is plasma is using a new method of caching the data, or the old
17 > cache got corrupted, so it has to reindex the whole directory again. It's
18 > never had to do 150000+ files in one go before because the directory has
19 > grown organically. Now, for whatever reason, it seems like it is trying to
20 > do the whole lot in one hit.
25 I was wondering about that too.  When I was testing to get the actual
26 error, posted in another reply, I noticed it seems to start over each
27 time.  It makes me think that each time I login, it will repeat the
28 process.  If so, that's not only undesirable, it's unusable.  So far, I
29 have let it sit for a hour or so banging away without completing.  Who
30 knows, it may take many hours or even days to go through them all.
31 While it is doing that, the desktop is pretty much unusable.  Nothing in
32 the panel works.  I have to use ctrl + F* keys to switch desktops.  I
33 also can't start new programs since the panel thing is locked up and the
34 application menu thingy won't respond.  The only reason I can do
35 anything, I have it set to a saved session and it starts most of my apps
36 when I login.  If not for that, I wouldn't have anything at all running
37 and couldn't start anything either.  Since I have 12 desktops and use
38 all 12 of them, the ctrl + F* keys won't get me to the last two or
39 three.  Even right clicking on the desktop does nothing.
40
41 I think I'm just going to have to whittle down the number for a while.
42 Maybe later on a fix will come along.  Maybe.
43
44 Dale
45