From: Tom <uebershark@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Boot via floppy from cdrom
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:32:21
1 Hi
2
3 I had a very un-nice evening, trying to get my system back into a
4 usable state, which I eventually managed, but that is another story.
5
6 It made me realise I need a way to be able to use my cdrom drive to
7 boot cds.
8 Let me explain before you say 'huuhh!?'
9 I bought a new dvdwriter a couple of weeks ago, and ever since I am no
10 longer able to boot from cd (using that drive, its SATA). It seems its a
11 bios bug or something, I even contacted the vendor (ASRock) and they
12 sent me an updated flash image, which I was sofar unable to install,
13 for some strange obscure reason.(I generally do know how to flash
14 bioses, and strangely the 'official' bios images from their site work,
15 just not the one support sent me, they are now offering to send me a
16 pre-burnt bios chip, but I'm slighly reluctant to go that road...)
17
18 So now I'm basically thinking to myself, ok, I have a floppy drive, so
19 what I need is a floppy disk, with a small kernel and my sata-chipset
20 driver and some mechanism for then booting of a (bootable)cd lying
21 ready in my drive.
22
23 So, any ideas how to do something like this? Maybe something ready
24 made, or a convenient script.
25
26 Everything I found regarding this, was using 2.3 kernels and were
27 generally out of date :(
28
29 Tom