From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub.conf
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 06:45:50
1 On Monday 01 September 2008 08:24:45 vetrocemento@×××××.com wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > I've succesfully installed gentoo on my pc, but when i wrote grub.conf,
5 > i've made a mistake; in the second line, instead of < kernel
6 > /boot/kernel-2.6.25- gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda3> i wrote < kernel
7 > /boot/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda3>.
8 > I discovered this when i tried to boot and grub gave me error 15.So i
9 > edited this line while in grub and then pressed 'b' to boot. Everything was
10 > ok. but the changes I made to the grub.conf are not permanent. How can I
11 > fix it? Should I use livecd to reach grub.conf and edit it? if yes, what's
12 > the path?
13
14 No, just boot again like you did the first time by editing the kernel line on
15 the fly at the boot screen.
16
17 When the machine has booted, edit (as root!)
18 /boot/grub/grub.conf
19 or
20 /boot/grub/menu.lst
21 you may have to mount /boot first depending how you set up fstab.
22 Both file names are commonly used in real life and one will be a symlink to
23 the other
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com