From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] LiveCDs for Uni students
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2014 08:19:16
1 On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 08:54:38 +0800, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2
3 > I'm looking for a lightweight LiveCD that includes a graphical
4 > environment and gcc/clang so that we can make it available on our
5 > internal network for the students to download/burn and use at home.
6 > Does anyone have any ideas/experience in something like this? I've
7 > looked at Lubuntu but it lacks gcc.
8
9 Ubuntu has a tool called Ubuntu Construction Kit for creating custom live
10 CDs. I've used it several times for creating custom Ubuntu and Mint DVDs
11 for Linux Format. It works by unpacking an existing live CD insto a
12 chroot, from where you can add and remove whatever you want, as well as
13 tweaking boot options. Then it builds an ISO of the environment you
14 created.
15
16 This is probably much better for you than trying to find an off the peg
17 solution, even if all you end up with is Lubuntu+GCC.
18
19 You could do the same thing with system rescue CD but UCK is probably
20 nearer your needs.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Quantum leap: (adj.) literally, to move by the smallest amount
27 theoretically possible. In advertising, to move by the largest leap
28 imaginable (in the mind of the advertiser). There is no contradiction.