From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to switch from rust to rust-bin?
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2020 15:53:01
1 Wols Lists wrote:
2 > On 08/09/20 15:53, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> There is a way, uninstall rust. virtual/rust requires only one of rust
4 >> and rust-bin, if both are installed it will take rust meaning rust-bin
5 >> gets depcleaned. If only one is installed, the virtual will take that. If
6 >> neither is install, the virtual will pull in rust.
7 >>
8 >> Adding packages like this to the world file is storing up problems for
9 >> later.
10 > Agreed. But if an update comes along, will it still use rust-bin, or
11 > will it upgrade rust-bin to rust?
12 >
13 > Cheers,
14 > Wol
19 It is supposed to use whichever is installed.  If both are, the virtual
20 points to plain rust first and then rust-bin.  I would expect it to use
21 the plain, locally compiled version, first.  Sort of surprised it
22 allowed both to be installed tho.  I'd think one would block the other
23 but maybe in this case, it is able to have both.  If only rust-bin is
24 installed, then it uses it.  It doesn't matter which is installed, the
25 virtual only needs one.
26
27 None of those should need to be in world file tho.  Whatever depends on
28 the virtual will trigger the updates.
29
30 Dale
31