From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] resolv.conf is different after every reboot
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:53:28
1 2014-07-27 23:28 GMT+03:00 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>:
2 > On 07/27/2014 08:08 AM, Grand Duet wrote:
3 >>
4 >> If eth0 starts after lo, then I have the right /etc/resolv.conf
5 >> file, however if lo starts after eth0, then the DNS IPs in
6 >> resolv.conf file are overwritten with dummy instruction
7 >> for lo interface.
8 >>
9 >> But, now, after your suggestion, I have looked into
10 >> my /etc/rc.conf file, and have found there the option
11 >> rc_parallel="NO"
12 >> which softens my previous arguments a bit, but not completely:
13 >> may be lo and eth0 are brought up not in parallel but in different
14 >> order, anyway.
17 > The first thing I do on any new build is disable network hotplugging in
18 > /etc/rc.conf, as I've run into lots of problems, especially if you have
19 > multiple network devices and need to bring them up in a specific order.
20 > udev processes these items and apparently brings the interfaces up on
21 > its own unless you tell it otherwise (the !net.* in rc.conf). I've just
22 > gotten used to disabling that automagic because I want things to start
23 > in a certain order and udev can mess that up.
24
25 Thank you. Now, I will be aware of this issue and disabling hotplugging
26 in this way will be the next thing I will try if the problem will not be solved
27 by just removing
28 dns_domain_lo="mynetwork"
29 from my /etc/conf.d/net file.
30
31 It is not because I am stubborn (though it may be :) but because I want
32 to do changes step by step to identify the cause of the problem.
33
34 P.S. As far as I know, I have only one network interface on this computer,
35 eth0, not counting lo, of course. :)
36
37 > During boot, you'll see something like 'processing events' and that's
38 > when udev is automagically doing it's start. From what I recall, this
39 > happens before the boot runlevel. So yes, it can mess things up as
40 > you've seen.
41 >
42 > I've never had the issue you have, even though I use a static ip, routes
43 > and dns servers in /etc/conf.d/net, but I would presume that this is
44 > just udev. FYI it doesn't always process things in the same order, as
45 > I've experienced with udev and my TV tuner cards... it can be random.
46
47 Thank you for your explanations once more.